Blood Disorders Community
Petechiae

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Petechiae

I have had little red dots, some larger then others, for many years but lately they seem to be coming more frequently.  They don't go away and my legs are literally "freckled" with them.  I am on an immune suppressing medication - Mercaptopurine - for Ulcerative colitis.  Could this cause the petechiae? Should I be concerned?

Btw, I get my blood tested every 3 months and so far my blood work is normal - CBC, liver and WBC.  There has been a couple of times that there was one aspect that was out of the norm - it started with an "M" but I can't remember the name of it.  I believe it has something to do with anemia of a kind.
Petechiae are pinpoint-sized red dots under the surface of the skin. They are common after skin trauma and viral infections. They should go away in a few days. But if they persist then please consult a physician and get other causes ruled out which include allergic reaction, autoimmune diseases, thrombocytopenia, ITP or leukemias. The disease starting with M maybe megaloblastic anemia which is caused by deficiency of vitamin B 12 levels but then it has to be accompanied by any low platelet count as well.

My sincere advice is to get it examined from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.