Blood Disorders Community
Possible varicose veins?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Possible varicose veins?

I have a large protruding blue vein at the back of my knee and a large palm sized blue patch under the skin below it- it may be veins below the skin but it's a very large area. For the last two months I've been unable to bend that leg without terrible pain, no crouching or kneeling at all. At night the whole leg aches constantly and I get fitful sleep. I am 40 years old, female and 5ft7ins tall, 186 pounds. Would losing weight fix this or do I need medical attention?
Hi!
You need medical attention. If there is bulging vein and a blue patch underneath, it is probably due to varicose vein that has bled. The bleeding has probably caused localized collection of blood under the skin. This would need treatment, either surgical or medical.
Other possibility is an injury on the back side of knee. Baker’s cyst with bleeding inside the cyst is another possibility. Do discuss this with your doctor. You may need X-ray or MRI of the knee or dopplar study to rule out varicose vein. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.