Blood Disorders Community
Rapid Pulse and High Blood Pressure after concussion 2 months ago

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

I have high blood pressure and rapid pulse after a concussion 2 months ago.  What is the diagnosis for this and is there treatment to fix the problem, not medicine to cover it up?
Hi!
High blood pressure and rapid pulse could be due to head injury and you need to follow up with a neurologist and get a MRI done. Other than that it may not be related. Rapid pulse can be due to due to anemia, hyperthyroidism, fever, low blood sugar, anxiety and panic disorder, heart causes like sinus tachycardia and palpitations, alcohol, coffee, effect of certain drugs etc. Various other causes of high BP are hyperthyroidism, renal artery stenosis (by dopplar studies or MRI), abnormal kidney function (by kidney function tests), hyper function of adrenals, Cushing’s syndrome, abnormal liver function.
You need to consult a cardiologist and a neurologist. Apart from MRI of brain, you may need tests like kidney function, liver function, lipid profile, thyroid, adrenal gland function, EKG, ECHO, tread mill to rule out heart problems etc. You need to eat healthy, exercise regularly as advised by cardiologist, maintain your cholesterol and lipids under control.
As a golden rule one should never self medicate in case of blood pressure. It can be really dangerous. What you can do is reduce salt intake, take alcohol with caution or better avoid, quit smoking if you do and reduce total calorie intake in a day. Consult a doctor ASAP if the BP is very high or else consult your PCP at the first appointment available.  
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PC/specialist to run tests and examination to clinch a diagnosis.
Take care!