Blood Disorders Community
Replacing medicines

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Replacing medicines

I am taking irberstan and hydrochlorothiazida 300mg/12.5mg. for my high blood presure but I run out of this medicine.  My husband takes losartan 50 mg and amolidpine 5mg.   My question is if I can take some combination of my husband medicine until I get my pills?
The losartan is in the same class of medications as your irbesartan, but the amlodipine is in a totally different class of medications from your hyrochlorothiazide.  For this reason among others, I don't think it's advisable for you to take your husband's medication.  If cost is the issue, then maybe you can talk to your doctor and get the irbesartan part of your prescription changed to something that is more affordable.  There are a lot of blood pressure medications that are sold in the US for $4 per month.  The hydrochlorothiazide is one of those.  Hydrochlorothiazide alone may or may not be enough to control your blood pressure.  If not, then possibly it could be combined with something else that is inexpensive, for a total of $8 per month.  If cost is not the issue, and it is merely a matter of convenience, then the answer is even more clear.  It's really not a good idea to take someone else's medication.