Blood Disorders Community
Should I have my B12 and iron levels investigated.
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Should I have my B12 and iron levels investigated.

Just recently I had my b12 tested. My levels came back at 3568 ( no supplements and no energy drinks,\ it was a fasting b12 t, so no high b12 foods were injested ). I know some people get anxious at a level of 1100 or even1300 and there seems to be no reason for concern. I have been pretty ill this year; being diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis and having a tumor in my chest, frequent infections such as bronchitis in mid July, etc.

I"m extremely fatigued and sore. I was a marathon runner up until I began to feel ill 7 months ago. I have Hashimotos and have been on Armour thyroid for 5 years, I have felt incredibly fantastic until earlier this year. My thyroid labs have been consistent  over the years and my cbc has always been normal until last year.  

I do have slight low rbc of 3.94 and  wbc 3.1. I've also been told that I have slightly high fasting transferrin saturation of 49% and my ferritin is 199 ( it has been rising for the past two years), but my iron is normal 145.   Would like to know should I have my b12 and or iron labs  investigated further? Or am I worried for nothing?

Thank you,
Anastacia
Related Discussions
1756321_tn?1377771734
This may be a lab error so recommended to have B12 serum retested.  Yes look into this further to rule out any serious diseases.

Levels of serum vitamin B12 may be raised in:

* Frequent consumption of foods high in vitamin B12

* Taking B12 supplements, B complex, or multivitamins

* Polycythaemia Rubra Vera  

* Leukaemia:
- Chronic myelogenous leukaemia aka chronic granulocytic leukaemia
- Acute myeloblastic leukaemia
- Acute promyelocytic leukaemia > 1600 ng/l

* Hypereosinophilic syndrome

* Myelosclerosis

* Carcinomatosis

Liver disease:
- Acute hepatitis
- Cirrhosis
- Chronic liver disease
- Hepatic coma

* Non-leukaemic leucocytosis

* Chloral Hydrate

"Ferritin levels are high in states of long-term iron overload, especially in haemochromatosis. However ferritin is also raised in inflammatory states so that its interpretation becomes very difficult in many situations : e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, chronic kidney disease or inflammatory bowel disease or even malignancy.

Ferritin is normally found mainly inside of the cells in the body, with only a small amount in the blood. When there is damage to organs that contain ferritin and in inflammatory states, ferritin levels can become raised even though the total amount of iron in the body is normal. Ferritin levels may not be particularly helpful if measured in people with liver disease, long-term infections, cancer or autoimmune diseases."
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blood Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...