Blood Disorders Community
Thinning veins?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Thinning veins?

Hello! I'm a 27-year-old female with dysautonomia and fibromyalgia (related, I guess?). For about a year, I have also gotten some severe joint pain.

The fibro and dysautonomia have led to several blood tests since several years ago. Now, I hate blood tests because they can trigger the dysautonomia symptoms, but in general they've been quick, fairly painless (relatively) and leaving no bruise. My veins were easily found and everything...

... or so was the case before. Since about the time the joint pain started to appear, the blood tests also gradually became less... nice. It started with some pretty impressive bruising after the tests. For a while now, the veins are really difficult to find and once when they tried to give me IV medication (severe stomach bug), and it didn't work at all because the veins simply refused to work with that. I had a blood test today and the nurse had a LOT of trouble finding the veins and told me I have very thin veins and that would be why there's a lot of bruising usually. She used a needle for babies for the sample because the vein was too thin to use a normal needle with.

I am 100% sure I did not have thin veins before. But now apparently I do, and it's since about the time the joint pain started bothering me. Could it be related? And what can cause thinning veins? Is this a bad thing? Should I tell my doctors?

Thank you!
... Nothing? I... just can't understand how this could be normal. In just a year, I've gone from normal to "very thin veins" to the point baby needles are required and they couldn't get an IV medication to work properly. This can't be normal.

I don't have much of other problems. I mean, my blood levels of white blood cells are relatively normal (low levels of eosinophils and basophils. Neutrophils, lymphocytes all are ok). Anemia? Not much of it. Slightly low corpusvular volume and slightly low haemoglobin (24.9 haemoglibun, 77.8 mean volume. Considering the normal ranges start at 27 and 80 respectively, doesn't seem too low. Nothing a little extra iron can't fix, right?) Platelets are... nearing the high end of normal at 405. They've been much higher than that sometimes, though. But not this last blood test.

I know that in the summer, my c-reactive protein was fairly elevated and I didn't really have any illness that could have explained that.