Blood Disorders Community
Varicose Veins

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Varicose Veins

I have a varicose vein on my leg (on back of my quad), I'm only 21 years old and it is slowly spreading slightly onto my calf muscle now. It is also beginning to ache.Would I be priority in having it removed or will doctors just leave it as it is?
Hi!
The treatment will depend on the severity of disease. If you have multiple varicose veins, then the cause could be prolonged standing, faulty valves, family history, blood pressure and cholesterol problems, sedentary life style, congenital malformation of veins, and obesity. If any of the causes which can be controlled are detected then taking care of those causes can reduce the progression of varicose veins.
A duplex ultrasound of the vein will need to be carried out. You can gently massage the vein in upward direction, towards your shoulder, 2-3 times a day and see if it helps. Compression bandages are available which can be worn. At times stripping and sclerosing treatments help. Avoid things like alcohol, caffeine etc which increase the blood flow and tissue perfusion. Keep moving the legs at all joints to avoid venous pooling. If at all there are faulty valves that do not respond to all these therapies then these would need to be surgically corrected. However, please consult a vascular specialist. Hope this helps.
Take care!