Blood Disorders Community
Vasculitis and insomnia

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Vasculitis and insomnia

I have been diagnosed with CNS vasculitis.  Sleep is elusive to me.
Insomnia is often a serious issue.  The only medicine I am on currently
is Dilantin for seizures.

Does anyone have problems with insomnia that is directly related to
vasculitis (nontreatment related)?

Thank you!
Hi!
There is no direct relationship except that vasculitis may cause irritability that prevents sleep. Also insomnia is seen with certain drugs used to treat vasculitis like prednisolone.
Insomnia can be due to physical or emotional stress, depression, allergies, asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritis, hyperthyroidism, and sleep apnea. You should ideally consult an internal medicine specialist and a sleep specialist for this. If no cause is found then some counseling may help.
Physical and emotional stress, depression and too much intake of caffeine during the day could also be a cause. Hence cut down on coffee if you take this, try and go for brisk walks in the evening, avoid sleeping during the day, and take a warm glass of milk at bed time. Try yoga, it helps. See if these tips help you.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!