Blood Disorders Community
What are all the symptoms of megaloblastic anemia?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

What are all the symptoms of megaloblastic anemia? I've been diagnosed with this disease. Prior to the diagnosis, I had been taking vitamin B12. How can I still have B12 deficiency? What are the possible reasons?
Also, if I took B12 the day before the blood was drawn, that wouldn't change the results, would it? Thanks in advance.
Hi!
The symptoms of megaloblastic anemia is same as for any type of anemia: weakness, fatigue, breathlessness, hair fall, repeated ulcers in mouth etc. Vit B12 deficiency causes feeling cold, tiredness, dizziness etc. Low intrinsic factor in gut that hampers absorption of B12 and causes pernicious anemia is the commonest cause of low B12. If this is so then increasing intake of B12 will not help, and you will need to take Vitamin B12 injections at regular frequency as prescribed by your doctor. Other causes of low B 12 are parasites in the gut, diet poor in Vit B12, Crohn's disease, IBS, or poor metabolism by liver are the causes behind it. Please consult a doctor to rule these out. Take a diet rich in Vit B12 which should include meat and animal products, cheese, such as beef, liver, salmon, cod, and eggs. Take B12 supplements and breakfast cereals fortified with vitamin B12. Finding the cause is important.
And taking vitamin B12 a day before may or may not alter the test results. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Hi Doctor, thanks for your answer!

Just one more thing, what else is best to check when there's B12 deficiency? Is it common to have non-anaemic iron deficiency as well? Should I test for it? Thanks, Doctor!