Blood Disorders Community
What is high and low blood pressure? What is good cholestrol and how do...

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

What is high and low blood pressure? What is good cholestrol and how do you raise it? and your oppinion of my doc response.

my blood pressure has been changing from about 123/78 to hypertension 2 when i get head aches and dizzy. It is usually in the pryhypertension and hypertension 1 on average... but the doctor doesnt like ho much it changes in 24 hr period. On average my blood pressure is about 140/83. Its usually lower on my days off and higher when im upset about life or work. But there are times Im really upset and its normal range and times I'm calm and its hypertension 1. My doctor decided to give me blood pressure medicine because I'm getting headaches/dizzy and my mom passed away at 45 from right artery valve displacia. He says all my blood work came back perfect and this really worries him the my blood pressure and pulse is like this when i have low bad and good cholestrol. At first he thought my good cholestrol was too low until he saw how low my bad cholestrol was and he said dont worry too much about increasing your good cholestrol cus its fine with how your bad cholestrol is. He said my blood count and kidneys and everything else they tested came out good or perfect were his exact words. I took the medicine for the first time today and laid down to watch a movie. My blood pressure went from 143/86 to 113/76 in about an hour and half it took to watch the movie. Im 28. What should my pulse and blood pressure be? What is good cholestrol? Why was it bad mine was low until he saw how low my bad cholestrol was. I thought i tend to eat pretty healthy. I like a lot of veggies and fruit and chicken and cheese. I dont like pork or fish. I'll eat beef once in awhile. I eat chereos or rice crispy or special k. I dont really like milk but ill eat it with ceral. I try to eat granola bars and yogert and nuts but i dont like or dislike. i started to eat more pasta and rice cus it cheaper. I exercise about 3 times a week. i am over weight but no idea what im doing wrong. It just scares me that he was suprised by my test results like he thought i was unhealthy and i ended up being healthier. he kept saying after the nurse gets your results we can talk about your options. And i kept saying can i do something else to lower my pulse or blood pressure and he said if you loose weight we will talk but not with your family history. He was short with his answer. Should i be worried.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You need to lose weight by cutting down on the carbohydrates especially simple sugars and fats, increasing fiber and whole grains, fruits and vegetables, skimmed milk and products etc. Cut down on salt, fried foods, alcohol and smoking, sleep well, keep anxiety at bay.  A regular exercise program started gradually so that the heart can get accustomed to the new change in habitus is warranted  and will benefit. A nutritionist could advice you with change in diet program.
Good cholesterol is HDL or high density lipoprotein which protects arteries from atherosclerotic plaques. Low density lipoprotein or LDL is the bad cholesterol which should be kept low. If it is increased In your case your doctor might prescribe you anti cholesterol like statins. Expected blood pressure for your age is about 120/80 mm Hg wit a pulse between 60 to 80 beats per minute.  It is good that renal function and blood counts are normal. Hope that your reports come out fine. All the best.