White Blood Count
I have just had blood tests done for my bipolar and checking my levels everything was normal but my White Blood Count was low it was 0.91 has been every year for about 4 years but 2010 was ok in one of the readings. What does this mean? Thank you for your help
Hi!
Low WBC count could be due to some medication you are taking which is suppressing your bone marrow. Certain medications also selectively cause low WBC. Hence talk to your treating doctor regarding this. If there is increased infection and the body cannot fight it, the WBC start going down as the pathogen start engulfing them. However, if there is no fever, it is to be that type of infection.  Other common causes of low WBC are flu, lupus, Hodgkin's lymphoma, some types of cancer, typhoid, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue, enlarged spleen or hyper-spleenism, and folate deficiency.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please also consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!
Thank you for your answer i will ask my doctor to look into it as i am wondering now what it could be. Thank you for your time in answering my question.