Blood Disorders Community
altering exercise when on coumadin
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

altering exercise when on coumadin

Hi,
I am on coumadin after a blood clot on my kidney caused my kidney to infarc. I also had a mild heart attack three years ago and had two stents placed as a result. Prior to the clot, I was on a regular exercise program--predominantly aerobic in nature. I realize the necessity of regulating the consistency of my Vitamin K intake. My question is, what exercise can/can't I do. I know martial arts training is out, but what about swimming, walking, running, biking? Other suggestions for exercise? Will these affect my INR numbers and how do I go about dealing with this? Thanks for your help.

Obsculta
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!

More than what you exercise, it is important to maintain a consistent diet and exercise pattern so that the INR can be appropriately adjusted. Swimming, cycling, biking etc are also aerobic exercise. While you can start them slowly under expert guidance, once you reach the level at which you want to exercise, you have to maintain it constantly so that your Coumadin dose is adjusted. Do discuss this with your doctor. Take care!
Blank
Dr. Mathur,
Thank you for your response!

Obsculta
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blood Disorders Community Resources