altering exercise when on coumadin
I am on coumadin after a blood clot on my kidney caused my kidney to infarc. I also had a mild heart attack three years ago and had two stents placed as a result. Prior to the clot, I was on a regular exercise program--predominantly aerobic in nature. I realize the necessity of regulating the consistency of my Vitamin K intake. My question is, what exercise can/can't I do. I know martial arts training is out, but what about swimming, walking, running, biking? Other suggestions for exercise? Will these affect my INR numbers and how do I go about dealing with this? Thanks for your help.

Obsculta
Hi!

More than what you exercise, it is important to maintain a consistent diet and exercise pattern so that the INR can be appropriately adjusted. Swimming, cycling, biking etc are also aerobic exercise. While you can start them slowly under expert guidance, once you reach the level at which you want to exercise, you have to maintain it constantly so that your Coumadin dose is adjusted. Do discuss this with your doctor. Take care!
Dr. Mathur,
Thank you for your response!

Obsculta