Blood Disorders Community
d-dimer test

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

d-dimer test

I went to the ER for severe chest and abdominal pains, and  had my heart looked at, and all was good, they did chest mri and it was fine, no blood clots, been sick for  about 2 years, so now I am trying to figure what kind of doctor do I need to see? The ER as usual just gives me steroids and painkillers.  I have already been diagnosed with hiatal hernia, ibs, vit d deficiency, b12 deficiency and now I tested positive for the d dimer test. What does that mean?  The cardiologist I am seeing is treating me for pots, because he seems to think this could be a possibilty, I am at a loss, I just want to feel healthy, I can barely walk at times, and I am so nautious I am getting to the point where it is hard to do anything, Any clue as to what path I can go down.    I will take any advice at this point.

Thanks,
this explains the d-dimer test http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/d_dimer/test.html

Sorry but i'm going to fire a few questions your way.......

What are your symptoms apart from chest and abdominal pain? Overweight, underweight? Any long term known health problems? Is your blood pressure normal? Any health problems within the family that might be worth considering?
You say you can barely walk at times but don't say why...eg; because of pain in your legs, severe fatigue, breathlessness etc?  
When is the nausea worst, eg; with movement, after eating, when standing or lying etc?

I'm guessing you would have had full bloods done that would indicate any of the major horrors.  
As for the cardiologist - Not a clue what "pots" are, sorry

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. A positive D- dimer indicates the presence of an abnormally high level  fibrin degradation products in your body.  It tells about the significant clot formation and breakdown in the body. An elevated D- dimer nay be due to a venous thromboembolism  or disseminated intravascular coagulation  but also due to trauma, recent surgery, infection, liver disease, heart disease and some cancer.
Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome is a condition where a change of posture from laying down or sitting to standing might cause tachycardia. It is often associated with hypotension, fatigue, fainting and light headedness.
You need to be seen by a hematologist for further evaluation. Take care and best of luck.

i have pots