Blood Disorders Community
high protein in serum and lymphadenopathy

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Hello! I just received all of my blood test results. I went to the doctor earlier this week due to a lump I felt in my neck (posterior cervical chain nodes) of about 1cm (firm, but moveable) that has been there for about three weeks and now I think I feel a smaller node underneath. All tests came back normal except TSH (4.87 - lab cut off is 4.5), but t4 was normal and my serum protein was high (8.5 - normal cutoff was 8.3), however albumin was normal. I'm a medical student, so the high protein is slightly concerning to me, especially with the lymphadenopathy. I haven't been sick recently. Can any doctor give me some insight? Is it was to get a protein electrophoresis done as well as go straight to lymph node biopsy? I have boards coming up this month and can't study when I am anxious about this.
Hi!
The simple causes of a firm 1 cm moveable lymph node are dandruff, caries tooth, ear infection or localized dermatitis. Check and see if you have any. The other lab readings are just outside the normal limit. So, I would suggest you repeat these tests. Get complete thyroid profile (T3, T4, TSH) and complete serum protein tests: total protein, serum albumin, serum globulin, albumin globulin ratio. If any of these values are abnormal then further tests may be required. Thyroiditis too can cause lymph node enlargement. Please discuss this with a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.