Blood Disorders Community
iron defiency anemia or not

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

iron defiency anemia or not

my doctor suspects iron deficieny anemia. however my iron and TIBC level were within normal range, but my iron sat was below normal and ferritin was low with 16. with the iron and TIBC levels being within normal can it still be iron deficient anemia? thank you.
Hi!
If percent saturation and transferrin is low (but not too low) and you have normal iron and TIBC, then this could mean a recent onset iron deficiency anemia. Usually iron stores become low in a case of prolonged iron deficiency. Also, if the percent saturation is below 20%, then amount of iron carried by transferring is pretty low. If there is a doubt regarding diagnosis, you can ask for a repeat test. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.