Blood Disorders Community
it hurts to breathe

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

it hurts to breathe

I put this on the chest pain page, but wanted to put something on here too.  I am a 43 year old mother of four who has had two pulmonary embolisms in less than three months.  In June this year, I passed out at home, woke up dizzy, having major chest pain, and a migraine.  Went to the hospital and found out I had multiple blood clots in both lungs, a pulmonary embolism, a partially collapsed left lung, pnemonia (pneumonia) and pleurisy.  Yes, all at once.  My lungs had excessive fluid and the left one had a layer of very thick fluid.  I had a "lung tap" and they drained 1 liter of fluid, but the thicker layer, they went in and broke it up and put a chest tube in....now I know these are not scientific terms..but it is the best I cqn do.  I spent about six weeks in the hospital including two days in icu.  
The next p e was in August...two more weeks in hospital. Well, the hemotologist ran all kinds of test to find out how I got the clots and tried to find where they came from.  I have a blood clotting disorder.  My blood is too thick. After five months non cumadin (coumadin), my INR is still running 0 to 1.1.  Right now I have had a very deep, dry cough, wheezing, chest pain, headaches, and some fever.  I am also retaining fluid and today I suddenly developed a very salty taste in my mouth that I can't get rid of.  I have been to er per my drs order, and he basically said that nothing is wrong.  But my white blood count has been and still is very low, my inr is low, I'm anemic, and I know there is something major wrong that drs are once again overlooking.  I have cried for a week off and on...so scared.  Feel like I'm going to black out again.  Sorry for being so long but tried to give you a bit of history. Any ideas on what could be causing so much chest pain, also my right side,upper rib area is swollen.  It hurts so bad to cough. I need help desparately.  My primary dr is new to me bc my other one moved away.DESPARATE
Hi!
The commonest reason for a salty taste in mouth is due to dehydration. The next most common cause is acidity with GERD or gastric reflux. Blood from stomach can cause a salty taste in the reflux. Sjogren’s syndrome causes dryness of mouth and salty taste. Post nasal drainage as seen in allergies and sinusitis is another cause.
Using a CPAP machine can also cause salty taste as it causes dryness of the mouth. Endocrine disorders, anti thyroid medicines and chemotherapy drugs also cause a salty taste in mouth.
The clots in the lung could be the result of clotting disorder which needs to be further investigated. Sjogren’s syndrome too should be seriously considered. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Thanks.,.