Blood Disorders Community
low platelets

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

low platelets

I had my blood work done and have a 73,000 platelet count.  Is this something I should worry about and how do I raise the count to a normal level?
Hi!
Yes, the count is low but not alarmingly low. However, since you have low platelets be vigilant about bleeds from gums, mouth, bruises, urine and stool.  The cause for the low platelet count has to be identified and treated; whether it is due to less production at the bone marrow or high breakdown or due to platelets being trapped in the spleen. The treatment will depend on the cause. Common causes are Vit B12 and folic acid deficiency, leukemias, lymphomas, decreased production of thrombopoietin by liver, Dengue fever, HIV, hemolytic anemias, etc. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!