Blood Disorders Community
muscle twitching, spasms and tingling= iron deficiency?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

For a little over 2 months ago, I have been experiencing wide spread muscle twitching (chin. lips, tongue, calf, hand..everywhere!) as well as muscle stiffness in my right calf muscles. I also have facial tingling on the left side of my face. Its been really scary. I went to the hospital yesterday and was diagnosed with Iron deficiency anemia. I don't know if the count is different in the States but my iron count was at 18 and my hemoglobin was in the hundreds. I believe it was 130. My doctor said that I have thalassemia. My red blood cells are small. The red blood cell count is normal however. Does that make sense? Could that be the cause of my twitches, tingling and spasms? Should I start taking iron supplements?
A serum iron assay measures how much actual circulating iron is in the bloodstream, and this form of iron is bound to a protein called transferrin. Usually, the range of normal is from 37-158 ug/dl. A person has low iron levels either because dietary intake of iron is low, or if iron is lost by the body (in other words, by blood loss).

However for muscle twitching and tingling, other causes need to be ruled out. Muscle twitchings are found in acid-base imbalance in the body, low sodium,calcium and vit D deficiency,Alzheimer’s disease, muscle fasciculation syndrome(a disorder of the nervous system characterized by the uncontrolled twitching (fasciculation) of muscle groups in various parts of the body),Motor neuron disease like ALS, chronic fatigue syndrome, hypoparathyroidism and neurological causes.

Tingling sensations are common in alcoholics and metabolic disorders like diabetes, hypothyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism. They can also be due to peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the tingling is gone or not.

In case the symptoms persist then please consult a neurologist as it can be due to some neurological disorder.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.