not enough blood on bone marrow aspiration
Hi, I'm 31 years old female and for a couple of years my rbc and hemoglobin levels have been lower than normal.  Until recently no one really paid much attention to the numbers because they're only boderline low.  For the last 6 months my hemoglobin levels have been going up and down from 10.1 to 11.4 but never coming back to normal levels.  2 months ago I started seeing a hematologist who has run all kind of test to find the reason of low rbc and hemoglobin levels and everything has come back ok.  A week ago a bone marrow biopsy and aspiraration was done but he couldnt get enough blood to come out from the aspiration, the Dr mentioned that he got a good piece of bone and they should be able to run test from that, but what can cause not to have enough blood to come out on aspiration?  The Dr tried twice I guess because I have two punctures in my back and still could not get enough blood!!!
Any answer will be appreciated.   Thanks
Hi!
I can understand your apprehensions. It is quite common to low aspirate or dry tap on bone marrow aspiration. At times if the medical professional moves the needle slightly, he is able to draw in some aspirate and at other times there is not much success. At times this is due to faulty technique. The other possibility is fibrosis or hyper-cellularity (increase cells) or may be both. This is why a biopsy is also done to explain the cause of dry tap.At times the bone marrow biopsy is normal too. Hope this helps you in some way.  Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.