Blood Disorders Community
platelet count below the normal range

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

platelet count below the normal range

hi!im pregnant and just got the result of my platelet count which is 113 below the normal range.what is the possible indication with this result.thanks
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Low platelet count in pregnancy can result in unwarranted bleeding and loss of pregnancy, so yes, it can be dangerous. So get a repeat count for confirmation.
The cause for the low platelet count has to be identified; whether it is due to less production at the bone marrow or high breakdown or due to platelets being trapped in the spleen. The treatment will depend on the cause. Common causes are Vit B12 and folic acid deficiency, leukemias, lymphomas, decreased production of thrombopoietin by liver, Dengue fever, HIV, hemolytic anemias, etc. Blood transfusions and plasma exchange are the prescribed treatments. Immunoglobulins are given through veins for a rapid increase in platelets counts. Certain medications are used in Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral to a hematologist.
Take care!
Hi I know this is am older post...but I have ITP.  I'm pregnant at the moment and my count is at 22,000.  I was officially diagnosed with ITP 2 years ago September.  I know that sometimes it can be pregnancy induced and after having baby your count should go back to normal, but if it stays low its best to see a Dr about it.  If you have questions you can ask me about it I know first hand...