Blood Disorders Community
rh negative blood

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

rh negative blood

My mother has rh negative blood. I am her second child. Mom told me when her third child was born in 1960 that "they had to change her blood.". Should that have been done with me as well? I am asking because I've struggled with anemia off and on all of my life. Could this be effecting my health now? I've done a lot of reading about the rh factor online, but it's a confusing subject.
Hi!
No, you do not need change in blood. If you have Rh negative blood then you will need anti-Rh antibody injections when you become pregnant to prevent miscarriages. Usually the first baby is spared and if the second is Rh-ve, the second baby will also be spared (so there is a chance you are Rh negative, if your mother did not take the antiD inhections with the first pregnancy. If the first baby is Rh+ve and is spared, antibodies will develop slowly against this Rh+ve blood, and if the subsequent baby too is Rh+ve, then miscarriage is likely. So, if your mother took the injection, you could be either + or – for Rh.
If you have anemia, then this has nothing to do with Rh component. Low hemoglobin is seen in low iron, kidney diseases, cancers (leukemias, Hodgkin's lymphoma's, myeloma, and other blood cancers), aplastic anemia and myelodysplastic syndromes (bone marrow disorders), cirrhosis of liver, lead poisoning, and in vitamin deficiency. Low hemoglobin can also be due to increased destruction of blood or its components as seen in spleen disorders, sickle cell anemia, thalssemia etc. It can also be due to increased blood loss as seen in bleeding in your gastrointestinal tract, either due to esophageal varices, polyps, gastric bypass site, hemorrhoids or an ulcer. In females it can be due to very heavy periods.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.