Blood Disorders Community
thrombophilia factorv leiden and contraceptives

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

My son aged 19 and my husband both have had blood clots.  My husbands travelled to his lung and turned into a PE.  My son's thankfully remained in his leg and he was successfully treated.  The thing is tests were done on him to find out why and it was found that he had inherited  factor v leiden from both of us. (his parents) The rest of my children (grown up) were tested and it was discovered that they had only inherited it from one side. ( I'm sorry I don't know the medical terms for some of this info ) My daughters all had anticoagulants after their pregnancies and all of us are to report any pain in the calves which continues for any length of time. My question today is this: my eldest daughter's daughter (my grandaughter) is on a mini pill but it is causing her problems.  The thing is she is waiting to have tests for factor v leiden before she can have the full pill with both hormones in, progesterone and oestrogen.  This is going to be a while yet and results can take a while too.   She was hoping to to have the rod injected into her arm instead but my daughter is worried because we are not sure which of these hormones is the one which is to be avoided with this condition.  Also, is there this type of contraception, the rod, containing only the safer hormone?  we are sure we have been told this but can't remember from whom.  We would so appreciate help with this matter as it seems to be a bit of a dark area for information.  Thank you so much in anticipation
Hi!
Until the diagnosis is confirmed, taking progesterone only pills or mini-pills would be safe. The other option is depot provera shots, which contain a hormone similar to progesterone. Any other pills/rods/shots available in your aea which contain only progesterone can be used. However, please consult the gynecologist before use and inform the specialist about the impending results. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.