Blood Disorders Community
too much red cells

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

too much red cells

On 6 January 2013 my red cell count was 5.52 E127L. 5.2 is here the upper limit of normal.
The value was measured about six hours after atrial fibrillation onset. Is the high value due to the atrial fibrilaltion?. I have had high numbers also sometimes previoiously. The erythrocytes tend to be microcytous.
Hi!
High RBC are usually due to dehydration or low oxygen as in high altitudes and in lung disorders such as asthma. Congenital heart disease, some kidney problems and polycythemia vera are the other causes of increased RBC. Since you have had high values earlier, please consult your doctor to look into these causes. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thanks for your comments. Doctors have seen my lab results, but they do not say anything. I have asked whether I should take iron due to microcytosis. My Hb is very good 153, so I don't need iron.

Maybe the AF causes my elevated pulmonary pressure, and I think that is why my  red cell count is high during AF. During AF also my proBNP rises, maybe there is also some left ventricle weakness. Doctors say that proBNP rises due to AF, and it is insignificant.

I think I am really dehydrated because also my Na+ is often above the upper limit. I have asked about possible dehydration, but doctors do not take it into connsideration. They say, that sodium should then be much higher.

I'm waiting for cardioversion after taking warfarin at for three weeks.
Today a doctor said to me that I may have an exceptional form of haemoglobin.My red cells are small and their haemoglobin content is low.