Bone Cancer Community
8th Rib Resection Recovery Time???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

8th Rib Resection Recovery Time???

Does anyone have any experience or know the recovery time for a rib resection on the 8th rib.  I'm having a section, about 2.5cm x 2.5cm removed from my right 8th rib.  I am a pretty active fellow, soccer, workouts, always working on my house, always on my feet.  Does anyone know how long I might be off of them for recovery or any insight to share?  

A bone abnormality was discovered after a CT Scan back in September.  My physician recommended I have a follow-up Nuclear Bone Scan, which i did shortly after.  The radiology report was 'unremarkable' (i.e. nothing lit up).  I assumed I was in the clear but then followed up with a thoracic surgeon (a friend and neighbor of mine) as well as a bone specialist, both of whom suggested I have it removed for biopsy.  The thoracic sent my CT Scan to Mayo for evaluation, who recommended that i have the section of the rib removed for biopsy.

I have no real pain or discomfort in the area though i have experienced sporadic and unexplainable bone pains and 'more than usual' marked fatigue for the last 2 1/2 years, though it hasn't stopped me from doing my regular routine activities and hobbies.

I have decided to follow all of the advice of these professionals and have the section removed, but I can't help but wonder what the recovery process will be like, based on anyone's experiences or stories??? Quick?  Slow?  1 week?  1 month? 3 months?  I really would like to know if anyone has any insight.