Bone Cancer Community
Bone Cancer Pain in Ribs or Injury?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bone Cancer Pain in Ribs or Injury?

This is a question for my mother. She is 60 years old. She fell off of a chair about a month ago when standing on it. She landed pretty hard and on her back. Everything seemed okay, not much pain except the day after.

About a month later, she starts noticing a tender feeling of pain on her side that comes and goes. The pain is about the size of a silver dollar in radius and affects what seems to be one of her ribs (hard to pinpoint which one). She got a chest x-ray and it showed no problems. They gave her pain meds. and they haven't really helped at all. The pain stays the same. She is going in for a bone scan after about two weeks of being in pain. It's just hard to wait for results...I would appreciate any help in answers while we wait...

I know it sounds overly-anxious to ask, but could she possibly have bone cancer? Why didn't she get this pain from the fall right after her accident and it came a month later? Would bone cancer have showed up on an x-ray?

Why am I worried? She had breast cancer 14 years ago and uterine cancer 6 years ago. She overcame both, but we're always on guard now, so to speak. Oh and she had her last mammogram a little under a year ago and it was clear too. Please help...I love her dearly.