Bone Cancer Community
Bone cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

Bone cancer?

I'm a 16 year old male who has been suffering and still is from pain in my right leg. Below the knee and above the ankle. The pain has been going on for weeks, I've recently been getting pain in my ankle and closer to my knee. It gets worse from simple things like walking for 5 mins as well as at night. I saw my doctor on Monday and he immediately wrote off as shin splints but when i said the part about it hurting worse at night and from simple things he took a bit of interest. I also feel warm at times and a general unwell feeling. I forgot to mention within the last 5 days I've been having pain in my right forearm(not sure if it's related). Is it possible I have bone cancer? Please answer as soon as possible.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
It is difficult to confirm the exact cause without a complete history, clinical examination and investigations. Shin splints are a type of overuse injury to the shins. It occurs due to inflammation secondary to injury of the posterior peroneal tendon and adjacent tissues in the front of the outer leg. Leg pain along with arm pain can be caused by blood vessel disorders, damage to the central or peripheral nervous system and myofascial pain or pain that manifests in a person's muscles and the connective tissue that surrounds it. In peripheral artery disease there is atherosclerosis in the blood vessels leading to obstruction to the flow of oxygenated blood to the body's tissues and organs. Fibromyalgia causes generalized bodyache, pain in several joints and fatigue. Pains in the affected limb, weakness, difficulty in bearing weight are few of the common symptoms of bone cancer. Swelling is a sign seen in the later stages. These are only few possibilities. An X-ray of the affected limb can help in detecting bone cancer. Get your doubts clarified by your doctor. Do keep us posted.
Take care and best regards!