Bone Cancer Community
Bone cyst/tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

Bone cyst/tumor

5845862?1277695800
I know that this doesn't really fit in this catagory, but this is the closest one in here. My 4 year old just broke her humerus bone 2 days ago. Upon comferming the break, we also found the cause of the break is a bone cyst/tumor. We haven't seen a specialist yet. We are still in the process on getting that arranged. Does anyone know anything about the possibility of it being cancer. I know that you can't really give me a def answer, but I just need some information to ease my mind. I did look up what is called a "simple bone cyst" and brought that up to the bone doctor we saw in the ER and he had a look on his face like it was something else and wouldn't discuss any thing with me or my husband. So that is why I just need some information because we have no idea how long it will be before they can get her in to see this doctor. Thank you for any information that can be given. I attached a picture of her x-ray on here.
LeMa731,

I'm not a Doctor but am somewhat knowledegable about this topic.  Look very similar to what I had on a my femur neck only this appears to be much larger depending on perspective.  It may likely be diagnosed as fiberous dysplasia.  If this is the diagnosis then what is occuring is that a fiberous cyst is displacing bone and hence leads to fracturing.  In my case, the cyst was removed, biopsied, and a bone graft was placed in the excised cyst.

Given the young age, a bone graft could be advantageous since it could grow over time and replace the cyst.  It might necessitate multiple surgeries since it is larger.  Your child will probably be referred to an Orthopedic Oncologist Surgeon who will assess the cyst and give you more definitive solutions.  In all likelihood, the surgeon might be associated with a childrens hospital.  

Personally I don't think the situation is dire but it will take time to create lasting healing.  Left alone, the cyst will continue to displace bone, so you will need to take medical action.  Also don't worry about the Oncology designation of the surgeon.  It just that it is their area of expertise.  I hope all goes well.  If you have any additional questions please ask them here.