Bone Cancer Community
Cracking Sound at Sternum to Ribs Joints

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

I am currently feeling a bone friction discomfort in my chest. I feel it every minute, of every hour, of every day and night, of every week. From the start of 2009, there has never been a time when I did not feel the pain/discomfort. The pain is a sharp, aching, stabbing/pricking, constricting, vise-like wringing discomfort. I normally feel the discomfort and pain in the mid chest (particularly the sternum) and right chest (particularly the pectoralis minor muscles). There is normally a cracking/popping sound (similar to that of a knee joint being moved from out of a cramped position) every time I stretch my right arm out at the sky or stretch it out to the height of my shoulder and bring it backwards a little. It only starts burning when I move my right arm in the above-mentioned positions several times during the day. When I started feeling the chest & shoulder discomfort (November/December 2009), it was the popping sound that caught my attention but there was merely any pain. But after a few weeks, continuously moving the right arm in the above-mentioned positions to feel a little less discomfort, I started feeling pain in the chest up to this day. When I play football on Sundays it feels a little less discomforting until the next day which seems worse that yesterday.

Could anyone shed some light on this issue for me please? Any assistance is appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If with movement you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Sometimes it can be costochondritis, inflammation of the sternal rib junction. If the pain is aggravated with work or exercise then it could be due to cardiac pain. This could be more relevant if you are a smoker, are overweight, have a positive family history, are a diabetic and have hypertension. The other causes to consider would be cervical spondylosis (neck problem) or disorders of the nerves, muscle or shoulder joint. It would be wise to consult a doctor just to be sure it’s nothing more serious

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Ok. Will do. I will inform the doctor of your insight on my next visit. I will not mention your name, just the comments. I will let you know what the diagnosis and analysis was all about.