Bone Cancer Community
Does anyone have MGUS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

Does anyone have MGUS?

It was a total shock when I was diagnosed with HEP C.  As if that wasn't enough to scare the beejesus outta me, shortly after that, I was diagnosed with MGUS, which is a pre-cancerous condition that can lead to bone cancer and some other gnarly stuff.  According to Wikipedia, Hep C is one of several diseases that MGUS can present with, so I am posting in this forum first.  The only things I found on the subject when I searched MedHelp, were very old posts, so I thought I would see if there are any current folks on the forum who may know about this.  Here is the description from Wikipedia:

Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS, unknown or uncertain may be substituted for undetermined), formerly benign monoclonal gammopathy, is a condition in which a paraprotein is found in the blood during standard laboratory tests. It resembles multiple myeloma and similar diseases, but the levels of antibody are lower, the number of plasma cells (white blood cells that secrete antibodies) in the bone marrow is lower, it has no symptoms or problems, and no treatment is indicated. However, multiple myeloma develops at the rate of about 1-2% a year, so doctors recommend monitoring it yearly. In rare cases, it may also be related with a slowly progressive symmetric distal sensorimotor neuropathy.
I know this is an old post but I just came across it trying to learn more about MGUS. I have HCV and recently was referred to a Cancer & Hematology Center because blood work found low M spike. Albumin was low and also had slightly high gamma 2. FLC showed Kappa elevated, Quantative test show IgA and IgG were normal range and IgM slightly high. Dr. said it is either MGUS or MM so waiting to go back to find out on the 10th of Mar.
I am 47 years old and HCV diagnosed in 2001, RA in 2011 and now waiting to find out outcome of more test. I am finding this is not as common as I thought it might be. What are your thoughts and any added info would be appreciated.

Mona400