Bone Cancer Community
Past Immuno Drug Use

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

Past Immuno Drug Use

I have a question regarding vitamins D and B12.  I’ve read as much as I can online and know all the opinions and info about B12 being water soluble and not toxic etc etc.  I would like answers to the following questions from a health care professional if possible:

1) I am extremely vitamin D deficient and have been prescribed supplements.  How long does it take to start noticing the effects/feeling better on 50,000 IU’s for 20 weeks?  I have trouble breathing and with “bone pain” am hoping this helps tremendously.

2) My doctor said the B12 range goes to 914 and I’m at 959.  I have seen where naturally occurring high B12 levels can indicate liver disease or cancers (if the info I’m reading is correct).  I do have a concern about this.  I was on an immunosuppressant for almost a year.  When I was prescribed the drug, I was told it would increase my chances of getting cancer by 60%.  At that time, they asked me to choose quality of life or quantity of life.  Obviously I chose quality and was on Cyclosporine for about a year.  Is it possible higher levels could mean the presence of cancer or is the level so normal I should not be concerned?  If there is concern, what types of tests (blood work) is done to determine if there is a presence of cancer cells in the body?

Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

When there is excess destruction of cells like in polycythemia or myloproliferative disorders, it could cause increased vitamin B12 levels. Also, liver disorders can cause increased levels. This can be detected by blood tests; complete hemogram, with a peripheral smear and liver function tests. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.