Bone Cancer Community
Protruding bone+slight pain when touched

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

I was in a hurry the other day and was jogging but had to stop immediately due to the fact my rib hurt so bad. The 4th rib on the left side underneath my armpit feels as though it it protrudes about a cm more than the rest. The protrusion is about the legth of my hand which is what leads me to believe it is my acctual rib that has shifted of place or some kind of swelling. The protrusion is hard like bone. There is no telling how long it has been this way but the pain has only been for a few days. I have been having trouble with nausea and I am a smoker with a smokers cough.
  • Back & Rib Pain (2 replies):
    I had surgery in February 2009 and was diagnosed with St...[more]
  • Lump on rib (6 replies):
    Hello, I have a hard lump on my left rib about 4 inches...[more]
  • Pain (1 replies):
    Lately I have been experiencing some breast pain...it ac...[more]
  • Painful ribs (3 replies):
    I had lumpectomy followed by chemo and radiation last ye...[more]
  • Rib pain (1 replies):
    I had my tissue expanders removed and implants put in on...[more]
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
A clinical examination is essential for correct diagnosis and management. Firstly it is important to determine the cause of this protrusion. The most possible causes include an osteoporotic fracture of rib, or a significant scoliosis in the thoracic and/or lumbar spine. Nausea can be due to several causes like gastro esophageal reflux disease, gastritis etc.Smoker’s cough may be a first step towards lung cancer. You should quit smoking. You need to see your physician and get X ray studies done. That will help in determining whether there is actual fracture or some soft tissue swelling. Do write to me again after the evaluation.
Best luck and regards!