Bone Cancer Community
Upper backache for 1 year and lifelong Hep C - Myeloma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

Hi everyone.

For almost a year now, and getting progressively worse in recent months, I have been having mid to upper back ache and discomfort, which feels like bone weakness. At first I thought that it could be a problem with my posture, though my posture has always been very good (straight back) and I am not in any new routine of sitting at a computer.

It has also started to ache around my shoulder blades, and I feel the need to get it looked at now, which I will do.

A few days ago, for something unrelated, I had some blood work done and it was found that my ESR is high (thought not extremely so) as well as my Ferritin being very low, with Vitamin D deficiency.

I also have chronic Hepatitis C virus which I have had since birth, for 30 years. I am concerned about the possibility of myeloma. Is this completely unwarranted?

I also have multiple ovarian cysts. Could they be causing - specifically, upper - back ache and discomfort / weakness?

Or should I get this checked out?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I am sorry to know about your illness. Your body ache and backache could all be related to vitamin D deficiency which you have been recently diagnosed with. People infected with hepatitis C have a higher risk of developing multiple myeloma. Since you have been infected with hepatitis C virus since 30 years so you definitely need to be screened for it. In myeloma, the abnormal plasma cells lead to bone destruction and cause moderate to severe pain and in some cases fracture and collapse. Ovarian cysts usually cause abdominal fullness, indigestion or difficult bowel movements .So your backache doesn’t seem to be related to these cysts. I will advise you to get your serum calcium levels done and also other related tests to rule out multiple myeloma. High ESR could be due to any chronic illness/infection .Low serum ferritin could be possibly due to liver disease in your case. Consult your doctor for thorough evaluation. Hope it helps. Do write to us again.