Bone Cancer Community
femoral neck lucent lesion?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

femoral neck lucent lesion?

I had a CT scan for abdominal pain. They found ovarian cysts, and there was also a comment about "2.4cm left medial femoral neck lucent lesion is well corticated and has benign characteristics. Nevertheless, further evaluation with plain radiographs and MRI could be considered."
(The dr (not regular one) didn't mention the lesion to me, only the ovarian cysts.)

I'm going to ask my regular dr about it when I go for my next checkup soon, but was curious about this.
Is 2.4cm large?  How often are these sorts of lesions benign?  I'm not real worried about it at this point, but I did realize today that where it is, is right where my cellphone sits in my pocket.  Coincidence??
I'm mostly curious.  I'm sure my regular doc would follow up at some point, anyhow.  

Would you recommend going forward with plain x-rays?  Should I wait a bit so we can see if there's any size change?

Thanks!
Curious.
Tags: bone, lesion
Having had a femoral neck lesion you will need to consult a Orthopedic Oncologist since this diagnosis falls into this speciality category.  You may not feel hip pain right now but you will as the lesion grows.  The lesion displaces bone and is a rubbery like substance  They are usually benign, altleast mine was.  Four months from surgery I was able to do my 4 mile exercise walk but two weeks before I couldn't walk more than 100ft withou pain.  The neck lesion will cause microfracturing.  A fractured neck is something you don't want.

When you have surgery planned please write back because I have very important advice for you to avoid serious complications as I have endured.  Good luck
I have a femoral neck lesion and am scheduled for surgery next week on December 16,  I'm concerned because I am a PE teacher.  I have pain only after sitting and occassionally when I walk.
Bingo, just like mine.  My commute was 1.5 hrs each way when my hip was giving me pain.  It wasn't until a few months later and by accident that the lesion was discovered.  

Let me give you some advice about the surgery.  First and this is most important tell your surgeon to please make sure his team is watching you for damaged nerves to the opposite side of your abdomen.  I ended up with permanent disability because someone wasn't paying attention during surgery.  Most likely you will be placed into a left or right decubitus position.  In this position the surgeon needs to make sure that your opposite side nerve structure is not starved for blood or oxygen.  Mine was.  I ended up with damage to the gentiofemoral and left lateral cutaneous nerves and L2 nerve root.  It is painful now to sit or stand for more then 20 minutes and I need to take very strong pain relievers.  I was successful in making a claim on my disability policies and Social Security Disability.  My career was ended because someone wasn't paying attention.  Your anesteologist (SP?) is responsible for this.  Ask them if they would connect you to a SSEP monitor to make sure your nerve system remain intact and undamaged.  You don't want to end up in the same position as I did.

Follow your doctor's orders for physical therapy carefully and keep all weight off the leg for as long as he/she indicates (no more than would crack an egg).  This is what you will find most challenging and discomforting for the first few weeks.  Plan now for what you will need at home.  Bathing is best done using Johnsons & Johnsons Baby wash witha cloth.  It will make you feel clean and fresh.  If your anestologist and surgeon permit it, consider the spinal anesthesia over the general anesthesia.  You may recover faster especially after surgery (I didn't enjoy the general at all.)

I know I may be forgeting a few things and as I remember them I'll post them here for you.  Oh, look now for a Physical Therapist and facility you feel comfortable with - you won't regret planning this.  Look for a facility that offers aquatic therapy.  It'll be a month or more til the sutures are removed and can get in water but it truly helped me immensly.
I want to wish you good luck on Thursday.  Please let me know how you fare out.  If you have any questions during your recovery just write, I'll be happy to help any way I can.

Eddie