Bone Cancer Community
is it that rare?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

is it that rare?

Hi.  My question is more about how doctors in general dismiss common ailments becasue of the 'that would be rare" mentality.  But rare is still possible and I keep thinking that no-one that gets rare forms of cancers thought it would happen to them.  My issue is a very sore middle knuckle on one finger on my right hand only.  It swells up during the night and becomes very stiff where I can barely bwend it then when I wake up it eases throughout the morning as I move it but it is always sore to touch and hurts a lot if I bang it even slightly. No other finger or knuckle does this.  I dont rememeber hurting it and it came on suddenly over a day or two.  My chiropractor moved it around and manipulated it and said it may be sprained and there was some scar tissue there but nothing serious and definately not any form of arthritiis.  I'm 36, female, healthy. When I mentioned it to my doctor she didnt even look at it and just said I've hurt it somewhere and it's probably nothing, didnt even think X-Ray was necessary.  So can these types of things be bone cancer of the fingers/hands etc and why is it so unreasonable to think it could be a possibility when there is a long-term pain and swelling that hasnt subsided??  Should I get a refereal for x-ray and should I be worried or am I being silly??  Sorry for the long post.    
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. If the pain is due to bone cancer, it is likely to progress rapidly. Besides this you can also have systemic symptoms like fatigue, loss of appetite and loss of weight. The cause for the pain could be extensor tendinitis, inflammation of the tendons on the dorsal aspect of the hand. This can happen with infections and inflammations. It can also be due to tenosynovitis, which is inflammation of the tendon sheath. Only further investigations can help diagnose the cause.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Back in high school, I went to a best friend's sister's birthday party at a roller rink. I was skating faster along the wall than the younger sister and her friends, so I put out my hand to slow down...and slammed it into a small part of the wall that stuck out farther than the rest. Boy, did that hurt, and it swelled to about two or three times larger than my very slim fingers. Yet the friend's mother claimed it wasn't broken, didn't need to take me to get it x-rayed and treated. Took me I think two or three weeks before I went to a doctor to see it was broken and got a splint. Moral of the story: if you think there's a problem, get it checked out sooner rather than later so you can know ASAP you're getting any treatments you may need. Otherwise, you could be in pain and find yourself in a situation where certain treatment options are no longer available and you'll have to deal with side effects. I still have issues with that finger at times, and I wish I had gotten it looked at and treated sooner instead of dealing with it the way I did. Let me know what happens!