Bone Cancer Community
pain atop iliac crest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bone cancer, including bone tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and chondrosarcoma.

pain atop iliac crest

I have been allover the place with my doctors and the good people here at MedHelp.  Everyone has been very supportive as i work my way through my concerns.  quick recap.  In mid june, testicles began to hurt.  diagnosed with epididymitis.  no std/bacterial cause found.  doctor said it was viral and let it be.  now end of july. testicle pain persisted and there was a swollen grand in my groin.  doctors say it was associated to epididymitis and left it at that.  pain persisted.  got it scanned and the node was 19mmx11mmx6mm.  "mildly enlarged with benign features.  reactive." That was the report.  as testicle pain went away, the lymph node lump began to hurt a bit more.  shortly after  that the pain was moving through my thigh, around my buttock and up into my right flank.  I thought maybe kidney issue but scan of kidney was fine.  my doctor keeps reassuring me there is no cancer.  today he sends me for hip and pelvic exray.  he thinks something here can show the cause of my pain in my right flank.  it feels like there is a balloon above the iliac crest and below the ribs that is inflated a bit.  some pressure.  when i press around the area there is pain in the middle and along the top of the iliac crest, more towards the back and middle.  not really in the front.  I also get an odd sensation in the middle of the right buttock, like a pulled muscle.  however, my question is more around the hip pelvic exray and the symptoms being caused by a bone cancer.  Does this sound resonable.  Also, I am still not 100% sold my lymph node is just reactive.  is it possible the node is infected with lymphoma and it has spread via bone marrow to my iliac crest?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, if it was bone cancer, it would have spread by now. Bone cancer usually causes pain in the bones. Lymphoma usually affects groups of lymph nodes.  It would be worthwhile to see if other lymph groups are enlarged namely, axilla and neck, these can be palpated, the others like those in the chest or abdomen may need a CT to detect their enlargement. Inguinal (groin) lymph nodes can be enlarged in infections of the draining areas namely the legs and buttocks. They can also be enlarged in sexually transmitted diseases like lymphogranulomavenereum and granuloma inguinale. As the epididymitis has resolved, it may take some time for the lymph node swelling to subside, so wait and watch. If it persists then you can think of other possibilities. Spigelian hernia is an entity which can cause the swelling in the area described, but this is rare. Regards.