Bone Marrow Transplant Expert Forum
Agammaglobulinemia

This forum is a place to get answers to your questions about bone marrow transplantation. It is also a place to find others who share your interest in bone marrow transplant.

Agammaglobulinemia

I have  Agammaglobulinemia and go every 6 weeks for an infusion.  I have systemic lupus and in 2004 had a stem-cell transplant using my own cells after reoccuring large -b-cell lyumphomia.  So, is the agammaglobulinemia caused by the stem-cell transplant, my systemic lupus or has it always been there unnoticed?
Hi koneofthree,

There are primary immune deficiencies of agammaglobulinemia (x-linked agammaglobulinemia, autosomal recessive agammaglobulinemias, etc)  that are present from childhood.  There are acquired causes of agammaglobulinemia.  Anything that impairs your ability to make antibodies can contribute to agammaglobulinemia - such as immune suppressive therapies and those that can alter your immune system in other ways.  

It is not likely that the autologous stem cell transplant is contributing to your agammaglobulinemia.  Typically, complete immune recovery happens from 6 months to a year after this type of transplant.  After this, if there is no evidence of lymphoma, your immune system should be functioning normally.

It is possible that it is associated to your systemic lupus. The disease can affect your immune system and many medications used to treat systemic lupus also affect your immune system.