Books books books User Group
Quiet Corner
About This Group:

A group dedicated to the discussion and proliferation of books.

Founded by sfkaos on September 22, 2009
86 members

Quiet Corner

Shhhhh.  We're reading.  
Anyone around?  Or is everyone out shopping?  Or reading to escape the insanity?  Or watching TV/DVDs?

Last remarkable book I read was Pat Conroy's 'South of Broad'.  
He creates these amazing characters, and suddenly you are right there with them..in the real world most of them would be considered dysfunctional...argggg..such a clinical word for eccentric or colorful or anything not understood by mainstream folk.

I tried to scan the new revision of 'Canterbury Tales' as I missed it in college.  Ackerod does a good job..and book is recommended by Harold Bloom, but got bored fast.  My mood is not right for concentrating on serious literature.

Who is reading a remarkable work of fiction?  Or non-fiction?
Hi and yes I agree this is a Quiet corner.!!!
No one with time for reading right now I guess?

I am just finishing a good book....won the GILLER prize in Canada recently, called
THE BISHOPS MAN by Lynden McIntrye   hope the spelling is right?

Its not a great subject....Abuse by priests in the Catholic Church, I am a Catholic and I enjoy Lynden M...so decided to give it a try....
Its fictional but I do think he did his research, it is very well written although starts slow.
I actually enjoyed it very much and gave many insites into this 'problem'

Ha Ha Ha opus they are all asleep, its Christmas that doesit, they will come out of hibernation in the new year wait and see.....Lol
My darling bofriend bought 23 paperbacks for me at Christmas, 16 i'd read before on a loan from a friend but wanted to own them & read the 7 in the week between Christmas & new year!!

I've only just joined but are all you guys into serious books or do you sometimes like a bit of 'junk' reading??
Wow 22 books is he also a reader? depends what you mean by junk , I read some self help books ,cookbooks, I find I do read less than I used to do ,as one gets busier, also I use the PC more ..I have to get reading again ..
Hi all,
Gee.  I post a comment in December and just now get back to forum?  Not good.

Didn't think to check on books until today.  Thanks for the book title: will see if library has it.

Margaret Atwood was one of my favorite Canadian authors.  I could lose myself in her stories.  The only one I couldn't handle for some reason....my mood at the time I guess...was " Handmaiden's Tale".  May have butchered title: it has been awhile.

Honesty: What a super thoughtful boyfriend!  Re: junk books...ummm.  Just now I am reading Alexander McCall Smith's fiction.  He is a Scottish author: wrote the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency books that inspired the HBO series.  He has another series, and I like his writing.  

Like margypops , I am reading less than I did following cancer treatment.  Books are friends.  I choose titles based on my need, as well as mood.  I noticed I have returned several books to library because I just wasn't into them.  Getting out more.  Then again, I usually take a book with me as I am often alone.  Book as prop;).

I notice too, that the more I spend time here, the less apt I am to pick up a book.
Just read 'Making the Rounds with Oscar': a NYT non-fiction bestseller.  An oncologist told me of an article the author (a doctor) wrote in New England Journal of Medicine a few years ago.  When I saw the book, had library send a copy.

It is a three tissue read.  What attracted me was the documentation of a cat's uncanny ability to know when a person is dying.  Sounds morbid, but really is not.

He lives in a nursing home, on a floor with end-stage dementia patients.

I have experienced first hand a cat's amazing ability to know when you need him/her the most.  Don't have one I own now, but since my kitty died,  his chum visits frequently.  He seems to know exactly when I need his company, especially at night.  

Now am re-reading 'The Art of Happiness' for tips which will help me regain balance after son's murder a month ago.

Hi looks like you and me ...I have a kitty , had her for a year she found me, I swear she knows what I am saying I ddint know that they knew if anyone was very ill, but it doesnt surprise me , I am still trying to get back to more reading its like a good habit gone out of the window..too much TV with Political stuff on, my weakness. well I have also been catching up on the many political books out there aswell
I've been so busy with school I haven't had the time to read. :/ Except for English, we read Watership Down. I couldn't get into it at all. It was about a bunch of rabbits who go off to make their own warren and have to face obstacles along the way... I found out about summer reading and I am so happy! Our choices are Lord of the Flies and Pride and Prejudice. I've read Pride and Prejudice a million times (big Jane Austen and Bronte sisters fan) so reading it again will be quite exciting! :D
realjimmy commented on photo
Jul 20
4Maddie44 uploaded new photos
Jul 12
drifter0213 commented on my love
Jul 10