Books books books User Group
Quiet Corner
About This Group:

A group dedicated to the discussion and proliferation of books.

Founded by sfkaos on September 22, 2009
86 members
Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Quiet Corner

Shhhhh.  We're reading.  
Anyone around?  Or is everyone out shopping?  Or reading to escape the insanity?  Or watching TV/DVDs?

Last remarkable book I read was Pat Conroy's 'South of Broad'.  
He creates these amazing characters, and suddenly you are right there with them..in the real world most of them would be considered dysfunctional...argggg..such a clinical word for eccentric or colorful or anything not understood by mainstream folk.

I tried to scan the new revision of 'Canterbury Tales' as I missed it in college.  Ackerod does a good job..and book is recommended by Harold Bloom, but got bored fast.  My mood is not right for concentrating on serious literature.

Who is reading a remarkable work of fiction?  Or non-fiction?
19 Comments
Blank
874521_tn?1375890587
Hi and yes I agree this is a Quiet corner.!!!
No one with time for reading right now I guess?

I am just finishing a good book....won the GILLER prize in Canada recently, called
THE BISHOPS MAN by Lynden McIntrye   hope the spelling is right?

Its not a great subject....Abuse by priests in the Catholic Church, I am a Catholic and I enjoy Lynden M...so decided to give it a try....
Its fictional but I do think he did his research, it is very well written although starts slow.
I actually enjoyed it very much and gave many insites into this 'problem'

Blank
535822_tn?1389452880
Ha Ha Ha opus they are all asleep, its Christmas that doesit, they will come out of hibernation in the new year wait and see.....Lol
Blank
1105540_tn?1279190717
My darling bofriend bought 23 paperbacks for me at Christmas, 16 i'd read before on a loan from a friend but wanted to own them & read the 7 in the week between Christmas & new year!!

I've only just joined but are all you guys into serious books or do you sometimes like a bit of 'junk' reading??
Blank
535822_tn?1389452880
Wow 22 books is he also a reader? depends what you mean by junk , I read some self help books ,cookbooks, I find I do read less than I used to do ,as one gets busier, also I use the PC more ..I have to get reading again ..
Blank
1118884_tn?1338596450
Hi all,
Gee.  I post a comment in December and just now get back to forum?  Not good.

Didn't think to check on books until today.  Thanks for the book title: will see if library has it.

Margaret Atwood was one of my favorite Canadian authors.  I could lose myself in her stories.  The only one I couldn't handle for some reason....my mood at the time I guess...was " Handmaiden's Tale".  May have butchered title: it has been awhile.

Honesty: What a super thoughtful boyfriend!  Re: junk books...ummm.  Just now I am reading Alexander McCall Smith's fiction.  He is a Scottish author: wrote the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency books that inspired the HBO series.  He has another series, and I like his writing.  

Like margypops , I am reading less than I did following cancer treatment.  Books are friends.  I choose titles based on my need, as well as mood.  I noticed I have returned several books to library because I just wasn't into them.  Getting out more.  Then again, I usually take a book with me as I am often alone.  Book as prop;).

I notice too, that the more I spend time here, the less apt I am to pick up a book.
Blank
1118884_tn?1338596450
Just read 'Making the Rounds with Oscar': a NYT non-fiction bestseller.  An oncologist told me of an article the author (a doctor) wrote in New England Journal of Medicine a few years ago.  When I saw the book, had library send a copy.

It is a three tissue read.  What attracted me was the documentation of a cat's uncanny ability to know when a person is dying.  Sounds morbid, but really is not.

He lives in a nursing home, on a floor with end-stage dementia patients.

I have experienced first hand a cat's amazing ability to know when you need him/her the most.  Don't have one I own now, but since my kitty died,  his chum visits frequently.  He seems to know exactly when I need his company, especially at night.  

Now am re-reading 'The Art of Happiness' for tips which will help me regain balance after son's murder a month ago.

Blank
535822_tn?1389452880
Hi looks like you and me ...I have a kitty , had her for a year she found me, I swear she knows what I am saying I ddint know that they knew if anyone was very ill, but it doesnt surprise me , I am still trying to get back to more reading its like a good habit gone out of the window..too much TV with Political stuff on, my weakness. well I have also been catching up on the many political books out there aswell
Blank
777052_tn?1333508381
I've been so busy with school I haven't had the time to read. :/ Except for English, we read Watership Down. I couldn't get into it at all. It was about a bunch of rabbits who go off to make their own warren and have to face obstacles along the way... I found out about summer reading and I am so happy! Our choices are Lord of the Flies and Pride and Prejudice. I've read Pride and Prejudice a million times (big Jane Austen and Bronte sisters fan) so reading it again will be quite exciting! :D
Blank
Recent Activity
517872_tn?1406710351
Blank
realjimmy commented on photo
Jul 20
1110049_tn?1384640486
Blank
4Maddie44 uploaded new photos
Jul 12
675718_tn?1321008971
Blank