Borderline Personality Disorder Community
A BPD Parent

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

A BPD Parent

I am currently a mother, but I also was diagnosed with BPD. I am often worried about how it will affect my daughter or if she may have picked up the traits hereditarilly. I have a family history of bipolar. I was also diagnosed as bipolar. any suggestions on if i should discuss this with her pediatrician?
I'm a 13 yea old girl with BPD, my mom talked about it with my doctor and ever since now when I go in sick he says its all in my head and I'm fine just overreacting. It makes me really sad i wouldn't tell him, it's in the records so he'll find out anyways:)
bpd is not a mental illness its emotional irregularity. if you make it an issue it becomes an issue i have bpd and live a very normal life. i monitor my emotions and watch my food and sleep paterns. it can be a curse or a blessing depending on how you deal with your gift
Hello hunny.  Oh my, you are very young to have been officially diagnosed with BPD, a somewhat heavy lable in one so young.  Firstly I live in England and here a person has to be at least 18 years old for official diagnosis.  I believe the mojority of mental illnesses, if not all can only be diagnosed at 18 or over.  I'm informed by my Psych that this occurs because having a lable will stay with you for life, whether good or bad (I personally am very relieved to have my 'lable' as it explains a wealth of things).  A psych Dr needs to ***** a person over a given period, not days or months but sometimes years, as in my case.  I agree that this is a fair point as serious mistakes can be made, even by so called proffessionals.  As you have seemingly been diagnosed by a Dr, and I hope this was a specialist (Psych Dr.) and not just a GP, it's YOU who he should be talking to and in turn YOU really need to be able to talk about your worries and fears.  Because of your age I think by law your Dr. is obligated to have your mother or another adult in the room for the consultation, I don't just mean a nurse or receptionist, I mean someone family or someone close to you who you trust on a day to day basis.  Is it possible to talk to your Mum about your apparent BPD?  I mean, do you even understand what this means/possible medical needs/therapy if required and present circumstances?  Do you actually feel 'well' or do you feel things in general are not right?  Either in your mind or phyically or both?  It's really really NOT all in your mind, mind and body directly effect each other big time.  13 years old is not the easist of ages to be hun, that's a well known fact, not quite adult and leaving childhood behind, no doubt your friends are all in the same boat in this age group.  Is there any way at all you could speak with your Dr. again regarding his mention of BPD, politely ask him how he came to this conclusion.  If you have done any reasearch on the why's and wherefores of BPD, have you recgonised any symptoms/issues or famillieralities?  DO NOT jump to any conclusions on reading about the symptoms of BPD because you know, nearly everybody, no matter what their age WILL recgonise one or two pointers, some 'symtoms (symptoms)' are pretty vague.  If you generally feel fairly ok and enjoy most things you do then don't dwell upon this lable, it's really only a word and words can be thrown in the wrong direction sometimes.  As I said earlier, mistakes can and are made and they can effect you un-nessessariy and with a huge impact.  As for your Dr. saying it's all in your mind, I'm disgusted.  Illness is illness, if a person is suffering in any way then they are ill, no matter whether it's mind or body.  No one person, young or old, rich or poor, should have a proffessional judging them negatively, that proffessional holds a powerful position and it should be used wisely and in the most helpful way.  I feel from what you have said, this has not happened to you and that's why it's important for you to have the courage to go back, with someone adult you trust (pref Mum or family) and talk honestly about this word 'BPD' which has obviously been banded about too lightly.  This is a SERIOUS matter and you really need someone medical to spend some quality time with you discussing whatever you need and want to know about the possibility of BPD effecting you.  I've been BPD for 30 years but the 'official' diagnosis only came into being two years ago, when I happened to look at my medical folder notes - no body had told me prior to that and had I not seen it I don't think they ever would, that's absolutely unexceptable.  Anyway, my outcome has been excellent, even though the 30 years passed were a complete nightmare.  I'm on good meds which I'm totally happy with, I'm no longer severly depressed, the anorexia is stable (no worse), I'm on a re-hab programe for my drink/drugs issues and finally I'm in one to one DBT type therapy every week - now thats what I call a result and I'm 100% happy with my ongoing treatment.  Good luck and do please come back and tell us (or me) how things are panning out.   XX
Oh deary me.  I've just re-read my post and noticed the stars, like these **** in place of where a word should be!!  Opps, not quite sure what happened there, I thought I'd written the word, musta made a mistake or spelt it wrong - maybe a cyber error, who knows?  Anyways, the sentance was meant to say:  A Psych Dr. needs to access or moniter a person over a period of time.  Hope the word gets printed this time, don't think I've broke any rules on this great site - hope not.  XXXXXXXXXX