Borderline Personality Disorder Community
A Mysterious Co-workers Social Deviant Office Behavior

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

We have a co-worker that has been sneaking food out of the  frig.  At first we thought it must be someone who might be hungry and can't afford groceries.

However, it has escalated to eating portions of other peoples food and and then later when emails go out asking "who took my lunch?", the food reappears in the frig. and obviously half consumed (they even eat food that has already been partially consumed).  Cakes and other food  for office parties have gone missing and reappear after questioning emails go out too.  

Lately, something else has been happening.  Someone has been deficating and urinating in the woman's bathroom and leaving very messing stalls.  

We have no idea who is doing either of these things!  It's a small office (maybe 25-30 and most people have worked there for years).  

We even had camara's installed but not in the breakroom or bathroom (I think this was done because items were going missing from peoples cubicals).

Definetely odd and diviant behavior.  Any suggestions on how to get this to stop?
Cameras can't be put in the bath rooms but they should be able to be legally placed in the break room. That's probably the only way you'll find out who's doing this. It really is strange behavior.
Sounds like somebody is really angry right now. I would look for a female, below 40, complains a lot about job, company, other employees. Moody, attendance issues. When you narrow it down then sit back and watch them, go in the bathroom just before or right after they come out. When do they go to the breakroom? Soon as they see the email? First chance after hearing something is in there? Odds are there is atleast one other person that knows it's them, this type of person will feel the need to brag.
Hi there.  I read your post with interest and concern.  Obviously there is a problem here, though who has the bigger problem I can't say at this point.  Meaning, is the issue a huge problem for the members in your office, or more to the point, is the issue/problem/disorder an even bigger deal for the person concerned who's actually doing this seemingly unsociable behaviour trait.  What worries me is that the person maybe has a serious eating disorder - just a thought and if this is the case this problem needs handling kindly and quietly.  Laxative abuse and diretic abuse (pills that make you want to pee very ungently) are common with certain eating disorders, hence the dirty bathroom.  Obviously food going missing or being somehow ''played with or hacked about'' is also a trait of eating disorders.  Everyone knows about anorexia, it's in the worldwide press/media all the time, but there are many more different types of eating disorder which are not anorexia.  Bulimia often goes hidden and unnoticed because the sufferer's weight won't be low and actually their weight could even be higher than average, thus covering any health problems.  Binge eating disorder/compulsive eating disorder are also different types of the same issue.  The latter two are quite like OCD's in their own ways and can be totally uncontrollable to the sufferer.  Folk with ED's are often depressed and lonely, not to mention ashamed, so please be careful if and when you confront the poor person who's doing this.  Of course I could be totally wrong, but it's a subject I know about and all this sounds sadly famillier.  Good luck to all.  x
Thank you for your perspective.  I had originally thought it was someone who is angry.  A. Eating disorder never crossed my mind but this could be the case.   Maybe this is why we haven't figured out who's been doing these things-  looking through the wrong lenses.
Hello and thankyou for your message.  Well,  I guess I'd better come clean as to why I jumped to my conclusion,  I have an eating disorder.  Over the last thirty years I don't think there's much I haven't done in the name of an ED sufferer.  As I said at the time,  my observations may be entirely wrong but who knows.  What I do certainly know is that anyone with an eating disorder will go to great lengths to hide it/cover it up,  that's the only bit that puzzles me  -  this person does not do a good job of that!   That may be because time is of the essence,  being caught in the act is absolutely out of the question.  The person must not be actually caught stealing the food,  either taking it out of the fridge or putting it back in.  They must not be caught in the bathrooms being heard '' getting rid '' (by bottom method/by vomiting method).  Using laxatives or diaretics (water pills) will make attending bathroom needs extremely urgent - believe me you don't have one split second to spare when abusing these things.  All of these eating disorder traits are dangerous in the long term and ED's kill,  it's not a subject to be taken lightly.  My last point is,  it's very embaressing and shame making to have an ED,  most '' normal '' folk just don't understand, that's also why it's so isolating.  Thanks for taking the time to read my post and for being polite enough to respond.  HUGS.  XXXX