Borderline Personality Disorder Community
BPD Sufferers from the UK?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

BPD Sufferers from the UK?

Recently joined this site, cant find any good free forums to post and talk about things, cant find any free groups, therapys, info centres locally, so just wondering if there is anyone from the UK here who can help me out, thanks.
Hi there and welcome, although I'm pretty newish here too but this seems a very good site and helpful too.  Yes, I'm from the UK and now live permantly here.  I'm living in S E London.  Ummm, groups, outlets whatever concerning BPD seems extremely thin on the ground, certainly around where I am. Anything I have found is attached to our main general horpital, based in the psych unit and I suspect it's about the same where you are.  Most of my support comes by way of folk like myself on line, here or elsewhere.  I've had BPD for 30 years but only officially diagnosed two years ago.  BPD is still in need of much reasearch so being diagnosed after suffering so long diddn't make much diference, it was not really known about 30 years ago, I thought I was bi-polar but Dr's diddn't.  Def talk to your GP for referal and help, it is there but takes a lot of pushing on your part, I've found that much.  I wish you luck and I'll follow this discussion to see if anyone else pops up with help.  LOL I'm always here to fall back on!!  Happy Christmas!!   X
I'm from NZ.  My GP is English and my psychiatrist is Scottish.

Definitely start by asking your GP for a referral to your local mental health service.  Here psychology appointments, etc are run through the mhs out-patient service.  Here that is separate from the hospital or in-patient psych ward.

Usually once in the service you have access to therapists, social workers, community mental health nurses, psychiatrists, etc.  The services are always great and are usually only as good as the staff in them.

You could try looking up your phone book for organisations that may be able to provide additional support.
I have developed a pretty good rapport with a phone counsellor from Good Samaritans (previously LifeLink Youthline).  That's in NZ.

I know someone in the UK who has accessed advocacy groups.  It's another contact and potential source of information.

Free forums that I have found helpful.
dbtclass at yahoohealthgroups.  There is also a discussion group and other groups there.  I think that the trick is to find one that suits your needs.

I use to post at border_town.  For the most part people were OK.  I think that you need to be careful though because some people on some sites have different experiences to yourself and can be quite judgemental.  rejection, etc can sometimes be hard to take from people who put hemselves out there to help you.  A lot of people on bpd or mental health forums are there because they have their own issues.  You need to be a little bit cautious.

I would have recommended the mh expert forum at medhelp but the expert has since left.  He has a website shrinkyourself which I find has some good psychological material which is free and is able to be adapted to your own situation.  It makes you think.

I think that most research on bpd has only occurred since the 80's.