Borderline Personality Disorder Community
BPD and SAD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

BPD and SAD?

I'm 17 years old, and since I've been 10 years old i've been feeling on/off feelings of depression. I have been diagnosed with Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder a couple years ago, but i've known i had a sleeping disorder for many years before that. Maybe it's caused by the lack of sleep, but i know i have Seasonal Affective Disorder, although i've never been officially diagnosed because i have never seen a psychologist. For a couple of years, i have been blaming everything wrong with me psychologically and emotionally on the extreme lack of sleep and SAD, put recently i've come across the definition and symptoms of BPD, and i feel like it corresponds to what i've been experiencing for the last 4-5 years at least. The reason i am hesitant to see a psychologist is because:
1- i don't open up easily, as i have lived some traumatic events i don't wish to speak about, even to a shrink
2- i live in quebec, where it takes months to have appointments with child psychologists; the waiting time is shorter with an adult psychologist, but you absolutely need to be 18 to have an appointment
3- i have tried speaking to my regular doctor and parents, but no one takes me seriously because i manage what i live and feel very well, i keep it all inside so that it doesn't show on the outside
4- an official diagnosis would mean that the problem is real, and i dont think i'm ready to fully acknowledge it
So my question is: what should i do? is it possible to have all three disorders ( DSPD, SAD AND BPD) and are they somewhat related? could one cause the other?
At your age the level of your thinking is appreciable . Generally knowledge will not cure but it helps to avoid the deepest pits ..

First of all , some points for you :
1 .There can be multiple diagnosis for same person
2 . Never self diagnose
3 . ALWAYS CONSULT A THERAPIST AND GRADUALLY OPEN UP TO A TRUSTED THERAPIST . Bottling up will not help in long run . Its difficult i know but generally it gives some relief  .
4. Btw do you cut yourself etc ? I have BPD traits but dont have the full blown disorder . Also i have delayed sleep wake cycle but its fine for me because i sleep a full 8 hours and still have a job .
5. See some therapist as early as possible and decide that you will open up gradually as soon as u r comfortable . I wont say "BE STRONG " and all that stupid dialogues but seeing ur writing I feel you are a person who can love yourself , get the therapy help , learn about the disorders and gradually get better . Whoever doesnt understand ur disorders and symptoms dont care about them . Dont fight them :) but they may or may not understand .

as we understand ourselves with help of a good therapist and medication if necessary generally things improve . Keep posting :)
Best wishes

First of all , some points for you :
2 . Never self diagnose

Best wishes
Thank you so much, your comment helped a lot. i used to cut myself last year, but i think it was because i was in denial facing my then recent drug and rape. As soon as i accepted the fact that it had happened, the cutting was less and less often and now i do it very rarely