Borderline Personality Disorder Community
BPD symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

BPD symptoms

I have some of the criteria for BPD but not as severe as it seems that you need to have to be diagnosed with it.  Can you have a mild case of it?  Or would I still be considered as having it?  

I think mild can be used to describe someone with say five of the criteria as opposed to someone with all nine.
Having said that I think it is still possible for someone with only five criteria to be labeled as severe.

If you don't meet enough criteria then you could almost be considered borderline bpd.
I expect many people have traits (several of the criteria) but not the disorder.

Meeting some of the criteria, if causing dysfunction in your life, would warrant seeking treatment for.
If you suspect you have the disorder, or traits, it would be advisable to talk to a health professional about.

My GP once told my parents he thought I was borderline bpd.  It was only two years later that I was formally diagnosed with the disorder.
I would definitely seek treatment earlier than later if you are experiencing difficulties.  What starts out as fairly minor can become significant (and even life threatening).

The dsm-iv have criteria for personality disorders too.  If you meet these, then yes it is possible you could be a potential candidate for a personality disorder.
Nothing can replace a consultation with a doctor so I would strongly encourage you to take your concerns to one you trust.

I hope that helps a little.
Best wishes.

J