Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Borderline "Traits" & Medication
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Borderline "Traits" & Medication

Hi...I am here because of almost 14 years of being in and out of mental health treatment. To make a long story short, I have a report from when I was hospitalized at age 16 that mentions "borderline traits". After doing my own research, I've found that the symptoms of borderline very much describe me. So, about a month or two ago, I asked my psychiatric nurse practitioner, who perscribes me my medication, what she thought of this report. She began by stating that at age 16, I was too young to be officially diagnosed with a personality disorder. Then, instead of going on to confirm the diagnoses, which is what it sounded like she was about to do, she said that she sees the "traits" too, but there is nothing she can do for me because it's a personality disorder and there's nothing she can perscribe to me to change my personality. I was hoping she would agree with me and address my concerns, but she didn't. Now, I've decided to go see a different perscriber, but that appointment isn't until August 31st. I have stopped taking my medication (there isn't really any left anyway, as I missed my last appointment). I am just sick and tired of being sick and tired. I finally feel like I know a big part of what's going on with me, and when I asked for help with it, I got shot down. I don't have a therapist right now, either, so I really am stuck. Is there any medication that can help me manage the symptoms of my borderline traits, or I am going on a wild goose chase?