Can't control my mind
I am 19 years old and have had problems with anxiety and spurts of depression. I used to cut back in high school, but have since stopped. Lately I feel like I am going to lose my mind or something. My mother has dealt and was hospitalized with severe depression. I have grown up watching someone being sad all the time and thought I wouldn't ever have to deal with that, but I sometimes can't control my thoughts and periods of sadness and crying. I have a boyfriend of three years, but we have been fighting a lot lately and it seems that I go from being extremely happy to trying to find an argument. I don't know whats wrong with me and am afraid of being diagnosed. Please help. Thank you.
Well, it could be something wrong, it could not. Depression is an odd thing, sometimes it's diet, stress, or just life in general. Sometimes for some people, it's more than that. Please, don't be afraid of being diagnosed. You have the right to refuse any treatment, and you have the right to get other doctors opinion. You don't want to do this alone, just in case it is something serious. I am not trying to scare you, I don't know what you have, but it sounds like it is time to see a professional. I would recommend seeing a therapist first, only because you could get help without medications. The therapist would tell you if a doctor that gives medications (can't remember if it's a psychologist or psychiatrist). Please get help in some way. If money is a problem, chances are, your state/city has free help for you. I went to a therapist for free through the state for panic attacks, and come to find it out, it was my diet that was doing it, through talking to her, I found ways to control it. You should be okay, but better safe than sorry. :-)
Thank you for responding to my question. I have talked to my mom because she has dealt with both depression and anxiety and I think I am going to see my doctor and possibly go see a therapist or psychiatrist just to be able to talk to someone and explain the things going on. I am just afraid of being on a medication or being labeled as something, but hopefully things will work out. I will only hope for the best of things and try not to be negative. Thanks again for you help it means a lot.