Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Could I Be BPD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Could I Be BPD?

Okay so I am convinced that I have this after doing large amounts of research but i need a second opinion. I have asked my therapist but she seemed to think that the fact that I have such intense emotions means that I cannot be BPD so obviously she doesn't know much about it. She blamed everything else on me being severely depressed and a teenager.
I have been self harming for over 4 years now and it has only gotten worse. I have been struggling with an eating disorder (ednos) for 2 years or so, and I have just withdrawn from school and am staying at home until I can get out of this pit that I am in which only seems to be getting worse even though I just started anti depressants. When I first found out what Borderline was all about I was ecstatic because finally something made since as to what could be wrong with me. I have become obsessed and I fit 9 out of 9 of the DSM IV criteria with varying intensities.
I just now made an account on here but I would love someone to talk to...
Wow... You sound a lot like myself when I first made the connection with bpd. First, may I ask how I came to this realization/conclusion? I stumbled across the book "I hate you, don't leave me" to day the least, I cried through the whole book! In part because I was so happy that finally someone seem to know what I was going through and also knowing I wasn't alone. Before this, I was diagnosed everything under the sun from depression, bipolar, add, anxiety disorder, ptsd... And once even schizophrenia! When I suggested bpd to my clinician they immediately refused the idea. Since 2005 I have been dedicated to the research and awareness of bpd. Not only for myself but for the many others suffering alone with no help or answers. One interesting but sad thing I found out is the stigma attached specifically to bpd among health care professionals is astounding! Its been argued that bpd is the must difficult patient to treat because the length of therapy it takes to treat. Most insurance providers do not cover a bpd diagnosis which is why many doctors withhold from using it (they want to get paid) The scary thing about all this, some anti depressants are dangerous if you actualot have bpd as opposed to some other mental illness. I have been wrongly diagnosed and wrongly medicated for over 15 years. Please do not start or stop any meds on my information, as I am NOT in anyway a physician more mental health expert. In fact, I'm a patient, writer, researcher and committed 100% to helping fight this stigma so we don't have to silently suffer. Please feel free to msg me anytime! I know I didn't really help but hopefully I have provided enough information for you to take on you're next appointment. I am also on Facebook Tammy Martinez. You might even benefit from my blog if you want to read some of my entries and poetry... I even have the article I wrote and had published in my local paper on the discrimination in mental illness. I'm here if you need support!
I would think that intense emotions would lend more towards the diagnosis rather than away from it.

Many health professionals won't forward a diagnosis of a personality disorder while someone is still young.  This is because the brain and personality is still developing.

Self-harming can have many functions.  As it's gotten worse I am wondering if you feel unheard.  Sometimes when people feel unheard they feel that they need to turn the volume up.  They self-harm more, they participate in more destructive behaviours, etc.

Getting out of the house, if you feel up to it, could be more helpful than staying at home.  If you stay at home, doing the same stuff, things are likely to remain the same.  In order to change, you need to change something.

Knowing what is driving the ed and self-harming and depression could be helpful in understanding where the problem is coming from.

Also with psych diagnoses you can't give one if it may be better accounted for by another.

ptsd and complex-ptsd also share stuff in common with bpd.

A psychiatrist would be the best person to talk to about diagnoses.