Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Excessive Picking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Excessive Picking

Does anyone else have a problem with excessive picking, or minimal cutting? Well, I try to stop both, but recently they have been on the rise with me as an individual. Are there any suggestions to help with this issue?
Perhaps try and understand why you do it.  What are the underlying issues?  
Cutting is usually a way to regulate or manage ones emotions.
I read something about picking on the compulsive behaviors expert forum.

Talk to a therapist about these issues.  It probably reflects an increase in stress in your life which isn't being contained or managed.

J
How interesting that it's been on the rise. I, myself kicked the habits years ago, which was tough. But recently they have come roaring back. I'm not sure what this about. I have little stress. I'm kinda thinking that it's reflective of uncleared energy, so I've been tapping where ever I feel the need to damage myself. For me I see it as a challenge to myself to sit still, even, when I have a very strong impulse and I have major issues with being still and seemingly unproductive. I know that I've done one thing for or to myself that day if I can look at a wound, which may also lend to creating an easy to understand linear timeline. It could also simply be a sign that you are looking to change some aspect of yourself or your life. When we are stagnant for too long the mind gets desperate for change and seeks to destroy you, in my experience. For me that's been compulsive haircutting more than cutting.

Did I help?
Yes honestly before I recovered from schizoaffective disorder I did used to do things that were physically injurious to my body. I only know I was psychotic at the time. With bpd it may very well be different. Generally because people have experienced abuse they revisit on themselves. Also creating pain releases endorphins which numb negative emotions. For people who are physical able to bike riding and other means of relieving tension can do this in a positive sense. For people that are not meditation can be a means of clearing negative energy. For everyone cognitive behavioral therapy has shown some good effects on this where medication is unable to help.
Yes. I am beginning DBT( dialectical Behavioral therapy) to help me with such things. THank you for the suggestion.
Excessive hair cutting? Yeah, sometime I get so overwhelmed with my feelings that I feel like there is no other way to get rid of my extreme feelings about myself at that moment, so, I cut to punish me and also to numb myself from the anguish.
I don't cut but I pick constantly. Or bite my nails. Or pull my hair. It doesn't hurt. I personally think it's more of an OCD thing for me, but I don't see it as a big deal so I don't feel the need to seek help for it.

I've also done the compulsive hair cutting thing. I've had very short hair for about 8 years now and I can't stand it when it starts to touch my neck. Unluckily for me, my stylist is out on medical leave and I can't get in for another week. *the horrors*

I would say that if you really want to get help for the cutting/picking, you should seek therapy like DBT, as someone else suggested. Rewire your thoughts and behavior patterns and do something OTHER than the cutting/picking when you're experiencing those certain emotions.
I also have problems with cutting. I find its the only thing that helps the moods and depression. I was also wondering if anyone has any problems with their memory. I don't remmeber anything from my childhood... bits and pieces that are a blur, but even they aren't very clear. Im 23 years old, and I dont remember much from age 18 down. can anyone help???
Hi!
I highly recommend using EFT.
Emotional Freedom Technique.

It seems a little silly and out there at first. I was skeptical myself, but it really works. It's easy too and takes very little time. You can find videos to tap along with on youtube. The first time I did it whole-heartedly I bawled and had no idea why, but felt really good after I was done. You may think that it can't be that easy, but I promise it is.

I'd love to hear about your experience with it.=]
Love and Light to you,
Diemyn
In the last year, i started taking scissors to my own hair (almost daily). A piece here, a section there.  All of a sudden, the girl who used to love and be proud of her nice head of hair, is depressed when she looks in the mirror. It is so hard to style, because I've ruined the cut. I never used to do this and realize, now, that i began doing this when i started to become unhappy in my marriage.  I'm so disappointed that I've done this to myself.  Has anyone heard of this before and are there prescriptions for this type of behavior?