I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.
When I was 16, I had a psych evaluation (I was a very adolescent) and was diagnosed Bipolar I, Borderline Personality Disorder and ADD. I am 23 now and have been diagnosed a second time of the same disorders. I hadn't a clue prior, but upon reading a page written about BPD, the recognition, seeing myself as a labeled condition on a piece of paper was devastating. Everything fits ridiculously, but I don't self harm (cutting etc). I engage in other destructive activities, especially when I'm manic. Also, I'm not violent and I don't anger easily. I'm more emotional and vulnerable. My question is this: How much of the personality disorder is categorized by rage and self harm? How important are they in diagnosis? Is it possible they misdiagnosed me? My relationship patterns, the issues of abandonment, the inability to focus on one thing and constantly changing career paths, hobbies, interests...all me.
Do you see a psychiatrist now?  An da medical dr.?
I'm working on it. I haven't been for the last five years, but was institutionalized a few times (I DID self harm when I was 14 and did have a violent outburst at one point) so I spent about a year in a program. But they didn't treat me for BPD, only Bipolar and for depression. I just moved to LA so I'm going to swing into a clinic tomorrow and see if I can't get in to talk to someone. To my understanding, BPD can't be treated with meds:(