Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Indentifying Triggers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Indentifying Triggers

I recently was diagnosed with BPD and will be starting therapy.  I have struggled with this my whole life and never could figure out why I was different from everyone.  I am hopeful for my future now reading the studies on how helpful therapy can be.  I am curious though on how to identify my triggers.  I am having a hard time trying to figure out what causes the anger and intense emotions that I feel.  Does anyone have any helpful ideas on trying to figure out your triggers?
That can be hard huh. If you try to be more aware of reactions in your body to events you might recognise that certain things tense you up for instance and so are a trigger.Very little things can trigger though and rather then avoiding all I think its better to learn to deal with your reactions.
It has taken me a long time to identify triggers and thats only some of them, if i panic now or get really angry or anxious i try to think what i was doing before that or where was i or who said what sometimes its something as simple as somebody saying the wrong thing to set me of. Are you going to be starting therapy for bpd?
Im still learning about my triggers too. Ive had therapy and am much better than I was but 'wobble' when stressful situations in life being too much for me. so I know too much stress is an unavoidable trigger but I prepare for it, like contact my therapist for advice & make sure I have got self help information to try change my destructive thinking patterns. Dont pressurise yourself to figure it all out at once. Coming to realise that I'm human and im trying my best to deal with it has helped.
I was able to identify my triggers (this took time) through journaling.  After a year of journaling, I went back and looked for "recurring patterns" -- though it was painful to read my journal entries (just reading about the tales of "unfair treatment" and the outpouring of intense emotions triggered me, so be careful there).  It helped me not only identify my triggers but also to see that I tended to imagine myself the victim and attribute HORRIBLE motives to other peple who were really just being normal people with healthy boundaries. . . and these issues from my journals became the topics of discussion (and eventual healing and changing of my perspectives) in therapy.  

The other thing that helped (equally difficult but much quicker) was to ask people who had known me a long time (my mom, spouse, and kids) to tell me what they thought "set me off" (my triggers).  My son was wise enough at the time to suggest everyone write them down in a list format without a lot of discussion (and this was way better than when we tried to "talk about it" and I got defensive and hated them all for bullying me).

Good luck on your journey