Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Keeping a job

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Keeping a job

Does anyone have any suggestions in holding down a job with BPD? I often start out alright but put too much pressure on my colleagues because I want them to like me or take on too much responsibility such as extra shifts every day and then burn out, I get deeper into anxiety and tend to self medicate with drinking. I am making some changes by moving house to end my social isolation and regain some stability and am also looking into a 12 step program but I don't know how much this will help the work issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with day to day life, the anxiety and restlessness. Or how to establish boundaries with co workers so that I don't negatively affect myself or others?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there and excuse me for being a little late in reply, wanted to think about what you said!  Well, I've been BPD for 30 years but only officially diagnosed two years ago.  I have to say some of those years were extremely hard going when trying to deal with borderline attacks and all of the symptoms it brings.  Obviously back then I didd'nt know I had borderline, I really thought I had bi-polar (Dr's diddn't agree).  However I worked through many attacks, even after suicide attemps, I got myself over it.  When I say I got over it, it was by the wrong means and that I addmit.  I now know now my coping methods were totally wrong and you know, they DID NOT work or help me.  I really do understand when you say you self medicate with drink, I too did this big time, and drugs.  Oh yes and the isolation side to all of this - big problem.  I totally sure the 12 step programe will help you, after all what have you got to lose?  Moving house will big a huge change and a wonderful chance for a new start, great!  Stability is the biggest issue with folk like us, without some sort of stability nothing is possible.  Everyday life, mundane as it might be, is the key to the said stability.  The 'normality' we often crave comes along with stability and stability comes with everyday ordinary tasks, can be as simple as keeping our living accomadation clean and tidy.  Starting each day with a schedule of tasks so as to not become bored or fed up is a good move, sort of every hour on the hour!  Try and avert anxiety by keeping fairly busy but obviously not manic!  If you are thinking of working now or soon then try to bring about a few of these things into your day.  I can't say enough - CUT OUT the drink, it's demonic!  Go for slow and steady and not 'burnout', aim for safe and steady.  I'm not preaching hunny because I'm putting all what I've written above into practice.  Yes it's sometimes hard going but I'm trying some of these things everyday, the key is little and often really - not all at once!  I wish you luck and please do come back and let us know how you are.    X