Borderline Personality Disorder Community
My husband has BPD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

My husband has BPD

Hello everybody,

I have recently separeted from my husband because of his rages, emotional and verbal abuse and sometimes threats to use physical violence on me. After separation I made some researches and found out he is most likely BPD.

He is from Egypt, refusing to go to see any specialist, feeling ashamed of his condition, admits something wrong with him but not accepting to get any professional help.

We are talking about coming back, I really want to help him out. Do you know if there are BPD specialist in Egypt? How can I help him?

Thanks in advance
Tags: BPD, egypt
I don't know about Egypt because I live in the states. I would think you have Psychiatrists there though. That's what kind of Dr your husband would need to see to get a diagnosis.
I can't tell you what to do of course but if it were me I would stay separated until your husband agrees to get help. You can't take a chance with your emotional and physical health.
There is help available. Your husband has to want to put the work in to it though. Most people with this disorder do very well with a certain kind of therapy called DBT.
We're here to listen and help anyway we can.  
some random thoughts  ... Having recently separated with a girl with bpd and having read extensively on it (though not an expert ) i have to suggest you a few things  ...
The most important is your emotional health .  If at all you want to re enter relationship read very extensively especially about the realities of being with a BPD person .  It requires a lot of commitment from the person with BPD to stay in therapy and thats very important . Many dont have insight (refer google )  and that makes it tricky  ..I am telling this because as of today i am unlikely to have the full blown BPD but i have a few traits of it myself too and hence realise the challenges ..
regards and best wishes ..
Thank you remar...

The problem about Egypt is health system is not as developed as states or in Europe. I am not Egyptian, not speaking Arabic and therefore useless in searching Egypt portals to find a specialist.

In bipolar forum there are many Egyptians who are complaining lack of therapy , ignorance of so called professionals and that they are drugging patients without even giving a right diagnosis.

BPD is a very complex disorder, I am reading about it everyday and learning more and more, it requires a specialist to help him. Sadly, I don't have the right tools to find the right person, so all I can do is search from distance.
Thank you for the good wishes.

I am thinking of going back, however not sure if I am equipped enough with the right tools to stop fights, to protect my sanity and ofc his too.

I am a member of bpd forum, reading and sharing thoughts and trying to find a middle way. I told him it will take at least few months for me to go back to him, but in that time I am using some communication tools suggested by bpd sufferers, so far so good... yet I am more than aware there won't be any miracolous curing :/
You're right, it is a very complex disorder. My daughter has BPD. She was diagnosed several months ago so I've been researching this as much as possible.
Even here in the states it can be hard to finds Drs that specialize in this disorder and know about the right kind of therapy.
If your husband has never gotten the right kind of therapy or has the tools to deal with BPD it may not be a good idea for you to go back to him because things could stay the same or even get worse.
People with BPD can have mild, moderate or severe cases. You can not cure him, he needs to get help and he has to want to get that help. It's so sad that there is'nt much help in Egypt. I'm sorry you and your husband are going through this. I see what my daughter goes though and it breaks my heart.
Will you please keep me up to date on how things are going? I'm always here to listen and help any way I can.